Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cleaning bottles

This must be the worst part of home brewing. Cleaning anything really isn't much fun; furthermore bottles put up a real fight and when their a little older it makes it a whole lot worse.

So I devised a method where I really don't have to do to much.


  1. Besides kegging I have an igloo cooler in my "sanitizing room" with a 5 gal igloo cooler full of water and oxy-clean. So whenever I have an empty bottle laying around I just throw it in there. It works great and is not to demanding. Also It cleans the bottles so well whenever I put a new bottle in there with labels they just fall right off!
  2.  Once its full I take the bottles out rinse them and put them on my beer tree.
  3.  For the final sanitation step before I bottle I stick the bottles from the beer tree into the wash machine, on the sanitize setting, with no soap. 
  4. I also soak the caps in iodophor and water prior to using them.
  5. Then fill them up and cap them. 

The well retained head of the beer is proof that these steps get the job done!
It's a wonderful little method, try it; let me know if it works well for you too or if you have any other ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment