Saturday, December 25, 2010

Random Tips and Things Consider

Like everything the more you do it the more you learn and become aware about it. In this case when i first started brewing I barley knew anything about the making of beer, wine, mead, etc. And every time a brew I still figure out more in every subject from brewing to sanitizing to kegging/bottling.
So heres some things I came to figure out that I wish I considered a while back.
  1. BUY an Auto Siphon Pump for Beer or Wine. This this is incredible! Back when I started brewing I would either put water in a hose and then try and poor it out to get the beer flowing or I would try to suck in on the tube to create pressure but both was were though, frustrating, messy, and pretty unsanitary. And then to top it off if the  flow accidentally stopped you were basically screwed. The Auto Siphon does it all quick, easy, and sanitary. It feels so good to use it and it is definitely worth the few extra bucks. I don't even sell them or anything but I am still telling you to stop doing what your doing now and go out and get one if you haven't already! 
  2. Keg don't bottle! I don't think theres much worse then cleaning and bottling dozens of little bottles. Almost 60 of those horrible little bottles and thats just with 5 gallon batch now imagine a 10 or 15 gallon!! That must be horrible. Also then it naturally carbonating requires sugar and leaves a pretty murky beer when shaken, which isn't bad for the brewer but it scares off others.. A keg is like one large bottle to clean and the lines aren't too bad plus you don't need any sugar and your beer is evenly carbonated to any level you are looking for.
  3. Expect to make a mess- even if it's just clean water and sanitizer. It's hard to avoid and it gets the best of us. Just remember not to stress and take the moment to reflect and pop a cold tasy Home-brew! - Thank you, ongreystreet from HomeBrewTalk.com
  4. Order In bulk - When it comes to hops and malt try to get away from typical brew ware supply stores and work your way towards larger wholesale stores like Hopsdirect.com. Just make sure to get a scale such as this Digital Scale so you can make sure to measure out small amounts of hops and grain when it comes by the pounds.







Just started this post so many more tips always coming!
Check Back soon!

And let me know if you can think of any other Tricks/Tips for me to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment